Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Serenity Prayer- line 1


The key-word in the first line of the above Serenity prayer is "accept". It reminds me the principle of accepance. All of us, to a lower or higher degree, have a problem in accepting the reality. Another most apt phrase for the word reality is "What is" as used by J. Krishnamurthi.
The opposite of the phrase "What is" is " What should have been". Instead of accepting the reality, we are most likely to change people, circumstances and events that are taking place around us. At times we are so cynical that we think that "what should have been" is "what is" as for as ourselves are concerned.
Let me illustrate this with the help of personal experiences. When I am attatched to some thing I do not see my attatchments. Attatchments drive me to madness.Once upon a time I was hooked by alcohol. My mother had a taken a promise from me that I wont drink. But when I was living alone and found many youths enjoying drink, I rationalised for my self. Who am I to say that alcohol is bad without having any first hand experience. To experiment, so to say, I asked my room partner to get me a quarter of Feni- a Goanese drink made at home from cashewnuts. Slowly I became a habitiual drinker. My love for drink became so strong that I started doing things which I did not want to do and could not do things which I wanted to do. Then one professor collegue explained the meaning of this line. We are having insane fascination for alcohol.
True it was really so. But I was not able to accept the fact. I told him that I am not that bad. Accepting our own weaknesses and shortcomings is very difficult. We always point to worse cases saving our faces. Getting our selves transformed is not an easy road. We must accept our own weaknesses. We are powerless not only over alcohol, money, girls and many other objects of our obscession but also over our sense organs. You see a beautiful girl and you go on following her. You see photographs of beauties but eyes are pointed over to their cleavages and boobs.
We pray to get Serenity to accept our folly. Because if we don't have it we will fall to self-pity, self-condemnation treating our selves as permanently useless guys.I can't change the truth about me. People have lost faith in me. They are extra-aware out of fear that I may cheat them with my sweet tongue. Left to ourselves we can not change. We can't stop smoking, chewing Gutkha, watching Savita Bhabhi as and when we find privacy on a special browser which does not record our history. We are hopeless and helpless. But accept we must. We are the way we are. Every time I repeat the first line of the serenity prayer it reminds me that without God or the missing ingredient as my dear friend Carol King would like to call Him, I am nothing and with him I am a miracle myself that can produces many more miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment